Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Traveler's Food

Falafel is a traveler’s food. You know that wherever you go, it will be there; it’s a very simple street food that ties together the world. I like the idea of elevating the street culture of different cities around the world.

I believe so strongly in the importance of young people taking the time to get out and learn the rest of the world. Americans are WAY too stuck in our bubble. That is obvious. We need to take a lesson from the Irish, Australian, and English youths (as pronounced by My Cousin Vinny) and take the time before we have to settle down and have a family to become a citizen of the world. No more of this straight-to-the-real-world-out-of-college thing.

Traveler's Food would have the street food they survive on when they’re traveling and the treasures to bring back for the family at home to taste. After diners ordered at the counter, I would corral them into a little international "shop" of packaged goods--Vietnamese candy. Ortiz Spanish Tuna. Coleman’s English Mustard. Black licorice from Sweden--that they'd be forced to peruse while waiting for the food to come out.

(While I was thinking about this concept I became so set on forcing the travel element that I humored the idea of making people show me their passports to prove they had travelled in order to enter my cafe. Kind of make it an elite club of people who share my appreciation for the value of travel. Since, I've decided that could be a slight barrier to profits....most people don't carry passports with them on the average afternoon about town).

1 comment:

  1. But passports could tie into the cafes graphics! I'm sure Dan could help you out with that!

    ReplyDelete