Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Waltzing with Bashir

Today, like the past 10 (or 20 or 50) days, it is raining. It's not only raining, but it's hailing at 45 degree angles. So I canned my plan of checking out cafes in up-and-coming neighborhoods and instead ventured to the Opera Plaza Theater (love it) to see Waltz with Bashir, which has been on my to-do list since leaving Israel.

All I have to say is GO SEE IT. It was overwhelming and it exhausted me. In one scene, Ari Folman (the man behind the movie, and main character) probes Carmi Cna'an, a former Israeli army comrade, about his memories from the Lebanon War. As Carmi looks sinisterly across his expansive property, Ari jokes, "All this from selling falafel?" and Carmi replies "Yes, from falafel". The movie takes place in a surreal, nightmarish universe so different from my life that this conversation stuck with me as the only moment I could relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment